Sun, Sledding, Snow Forts, Sleeplessness, Steve, Stew and Snickerdoodles

It's been busy since my last post.  Don't give up on me!  I do plan to be faithful!

Today's post is brought to you by the letter "S"; and is a non-all-inclusive list of why I've not posted for a week!

Sun - finally came out and warmed up my world.  Which, of course, led me to spend the weekend...

Sledding!  I told the boys that I'd be going and that somebody better come with me!  (No, I don't think I actually said that... I think I said something about loving their company, and we'd have fun and yadda yadda...)  Anyway, they came with me, we sledded and I loved every minute.  What am I going to do when they have left home?  The hill is so close to the house, maybe I'll slip away and go alone while all the neighborhood kids are in school.  I DID have their company sledding, which is more than I can say for my time spent making...

Snow Forts!  After Dean and the boys spent far too long shoveling the back deck area to prevent horrible spring thaw leaks into the basement, there were such luscious piles of snow in the back yard.  I begged Ben to come and help me and got half hearted efforts from him.  So, all by my lonesome, I made a couple of snow forts.  Hmm.  Even as I type this, it seems a little ridiculous that I did that for my own entertainment.  But I did!  And such cool spots for a snowy hideout.  I think I'll head there sometime today between the call of the washing machine and the dirty floors...  Ben thought the whole idea was boring.  Huh??  Where did that boy come from?

Sleeplessness hit me squarely between the eyes, even after all of that outdoorsy stuff and totally interfered with my life and happiness.  Seriously, who invited her to the party?

Steve (Bell, that is) drew us to Saskatoon for his concert last night and what a concert it was.  The quality and depth of musicianship between him and his band is amazing and so enjoyable.  Got to sit with my sister (see all the "S" words I'm hitting on?!!)  Uplifting time. 

Stew - good old reliable, nourishing stew is on the menu for today.  No new recipe to share for this meal, but being the cooking geek that I am, I am going to ditch the slow cooker again and experiment making stew in my Kitchen Aid cast iron dutch oven again in a slow oven (about 300 F).  I've been a major fan of my slow cooker for stew for years now, but this dutch oven is interfering with that love affair.  There is something to be said for a slow roast that mellows the flavors in a different manner than you get in a slow cooker.

Snickerdoodles are on my to-do list today, too.  I think Snickerdoodles are the "middle child" of the cookie world.  Not as popular as the "center of the cookie universe" like chocolate chip, and not as fussy and time consuming as a rolled and decorated sugar cookie (have you been watching some of the cookie decorating that is going on in the internet these days??!!!)  Snickerdoodles are a cookie hit in this house, even with Mr. Ben, who comes up with all sorts of likes and dislikes.  They are a great cookie to make when the pantry is low on all the expensive chocolate/nuts, etc. that other recipes call for.  To me, they are simple, satisfying comfort food, and you can be sure that there will be a good cup of tea to be had when they are finished.  (Hey, maybe tomorrow's post will be for my Chai Tea Latte concentrate?  Can't be beat!)

Snickerdoodles

1 cup softened butter/marg
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

2 Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Cream butter and first amount of sugar.  Beat in eggs 1 at a time.

Mix in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Shape into 1 inch balls.

Stir remaining sugar and cinnamon together in a small dish  Roll balls in mixture to coat.  Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly.  Bake at 400 F for 7 to 8 minutes.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts