Heavenly Smells

I have just cooked my first meal using "Garam Masala" and the smells around here are heavenly!  Mmmmm.

The last couple of weeks have been super busy for this household.  Let me see, there's been work.  More work.  An overnight trip as a chaperone to a Jr. Youth retreat.  And then more work!

I love my job.  Seriously love it.  I am so thankful that I make my living doing something that I really enjoy.  The work can be hard and the days are long, but I usually come home spent, but satisfied. 

I have said for years, though, that, once I'm finished my series of shifts for a stretch, I have trouble with re-entry.  Working 12 hour shifts, the most shifts I will choose to work are 3 12 hour shifts in a row.  That means that the day before I go to work, I spend the evening getting uniforms ready and organizing food to pack for 3 days worth of eating and then I go to bed early.  I rise before anyone, leave before anyone, come home after everyone else, have some quick updates with the family and go to bed before anyone, only to get up the next day and do it all over again.  By the time I have worked my third day in a row, I have spent long hours at work and short (wakeful, that is) hours at home and, while I try to wake up the next morning in wife and mom mode, it is nearly impossible to get my brain to turn off work mode. 

Some days, I re-think stories that co-workers told, laughs we shared, really, just the good times we had while working.

Some days, my body is soooo tired that I can't hardly think a coherent thought.

Some days, my mind is spinning from the mentally draining demands that have been required of me, dealing with acutely ill residents and complicated days.

And some days, I'm lost in the sorrows and struggles of others.  Reality bites.

I just finished 3 shifts yesterday and had good days.  At the end of my last day, though, I had to stay and help another co-worker (Hi Alanna!) cover a shift that needed to be covered after we finished our own shifts.  There are several older men on that unit, and they all look alike to me (I know they don't, but they're all grey haired men that walk, wear glasses and smell....sorry).  One of these old fellas was having a bad day and started following us around as we were doing our work (and talking..).  Obviously sad, I put my hand on his shoulder to try to alleviate his feelings of woe.  Soon, it crossed my mind that he probably needed a hug and so we had a hug.  A long hug.  And he sobbed on my shoulder.  And I patted his back.  I don't know if either one of us know what he was crying about as his state of mind isn't terribly clear, but as the moment passed, he said so clearly "I used to think I was so strong...."

And I've been kind of choked up about that all day today.  Heck, I'm kind of choked up now. 

Why does this blog make me cry?

Life robs us of many things and it takes such great courage to grow old and take what life gives you.  It means our bladders don't cooperate.  Our speech skills waver.  And our minds can be alert enough to know that we feel bad, but not alert enough to know why. 

Please, please, next time you wander into a long term care facility and you get turned off by the sights and sounds and smells, please remember the vital lives that have been lived in those human shells.  The stories are powerful and the souls are hugely relevant still.  And they've been handed difficulties that they never asked for and they will endure them until the day they die.

And I love those old people, those old shells. 

So, today, while trying to shake off the stories that I have left behind, I'm also anxious to re-acquaint myself with my home and my wife/mom roles.  There's no more sure way for me to do that than to get cooking.

I have been thinking all during my work days about what I would be cooking today!  I have been making menu plans for about 7 weeks in a row now, and one of our favorite Indian dishes, "Butter Chicken", was on the list for today.  However, while shopping the other day, I didn't find my usual Butter Chicken mix packet that I love so dearly so I decided to do a quick Internet search to see if I could find something that may bring the same or similar results and I scored big time with this recipe!  I challenge you to make it and to not be intimidated by a couple of listed ingredients.

1.  Garam Masala - simply a spice blend of the Indian variety.  I had 2 choices in the spice/Asian/Indian aisle - I could buy a small spice jar of it for close to $4.00 or a great big bag (about 3 cups) of it in the Indian food section for $3.39.  Seems like a good deal to me!  And, by all means, come and get some if you want to try this out and don't want to buy the bag...seems I have a bit to spare.
Oh!  And, by the way, Garam Masala is a mix of coriander, cumin, ginger, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, bay leaves and black cardamom.  No curry.  Nothing "hot" in the spice category.  Lovely fragrant blend. 
2.  Ginger garlic paste - also found in the Asian/Indian aisle, actually just found either Ginger paste OR Garlic paste.  I bought the ginger paste and added fresh garlic to the recipe.  The ginger flavor definitely needs to be there but I wonder about substituting with fresh ginger or even ginger powder?  Could search a few more recipes before drawing a conclusion on that one.

All that to say that even here, in little ol' P.A., I found the ingredients.  Here goes:

Butter Chicken

1 Tbsp oil
1/4 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic (my substitution)

2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp ginger paste
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin (I ran out, plan to include this next time)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

chicken pieces (to serve 4)
1 more tsp garam masala

Heat oil in saucepan and saute onion and garlic.  Stir in butter, lemon juice, ginger paste, 1 tsp garam masala, chili powder and cumin.  Cook, stirring for one minute.  Add tomato sauce and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in cream and yogurt, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat and set aside.

Brown chicken pieces in oil in large frying pan then sprinkle with 1 tsp garam masala and cook until cooked through (or do this step in the oven). 

Toss chicken with sauce mixture and let simmer for a few minutes.

Serve on basmati rice.

I will NOT be buying the butter chicken mix packet any more.  I WILL be using this recipe again, thus, it's a "Make Again"!  The recipe is SO similar to the results we got from the packet, but this is more convenient, and, once again, a savings.

Please try it and tell me that garam masala fragrance isn't absolutely heavenly!

And, for the record, I'm glad to be home.

Comments

  1. Nice to have you home baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post today Maureen.
    God knew what He was doing when He placed you where you are and we are all blessed for knowing you! Thank you for sharing such beautiful thoughts. (And the recipe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had butter chicken for the first time this winter in Las Vegas with my sister. I must admit I am always a bit worried that different ethnic food will bother my allergies but I trusted my sister to order something good for us and she did! I really enjoyed it. I know this is not something anyone else in my house will eat so I may have to try it some time when I am home alone. Not sure when that will be. Loved your post. Reminds me I must go see Mary G. next week. Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen, I love your blog!!! It is a secret addiction of mine to read your inspiring stories and yummy recipes, as I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of your cooking! You are a WONDERFUL nurse with great insight. I hope to always have a love for nursing as you do, and compassion for others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you all for your comments!
    Kim, do I know you? You are a mystery commenter to me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maureen - garlic/ginger paste. I read somewhere you can make your own using equal amounts of garlic and ginger and process them in a food processor to make the paste! Just an idea to try. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maureen I can remember a long time ago when you thought working on a ward as a nurse was something you weren't sure about. It sounds as though you are a blessing to your co-workers and especially the residents. You are a blessing to me as I read your blog. Thanks for inviting me into your kitchen and your heart. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill - yes, that sounds right; the only extra ingredient (besides salt) was vinegar. Wasn't sure how much vinegar and if it was essential to the paste.
    Louise - if I knew then what I know now about nursing...I'd be ridiculously close to retirement! Oh well; I know my journey along the way prepared me for where I am now. Thanks always for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts