Oranges and Lemons, Part 2!

So that the "Oranges and Lemons" title from yesterday's post makes sense, let me share the other recipe that was on my mind yesterday when I said that I couldn't decide which recipe to share from our birthday supper!

We LOVE fish in this house!  Love all kinds of fish.  For a long time, our favorite splurge meal was a side of steel-head trout.  We had no "extra special" way of preparing this fish, except olive oil, salt and pepper, and grilled on the barbecue until cooked to perfection.  Then our grocery store stopped carrying those trout sides and we lived in deep sorrow for many months, even years, sobbing each time we passed the fresh fish section.

Nah.  No sobbing.  Just a little bit of sorrow.  But, like a rejected lover, we had to move on.

We then moved in the direction of salmon - sides, fillets, whatever format we could get our hands on.  Pretty easy to find, and even reasonably economical.  My sister shared a recipe passed on to her, and, so, for those many moons where we could not cook trout, we cooked salmon like this:

Place salmon fillets on foil.  Top with LOTS of minced garlic (mince really small if you can), salt and pepper, and LOTS of butter.  Seal foil.  BBQ or broil until almost done; open the foil and slather (don't be stingy) the fish with brown sugar.  Re-seal the foil and continue to BBQ or broil until the brown sugar is melted.  Be still my soul.  So good.

And just as we were getting ready for a new approach to salmon, lo and behold, we found steel head trout at Costco last week!  And it is still one glorious feed of fish!  I think we'll buy in bulk next time we're there.

But.......getting back to Salmon for a minute......I found this recipe online last week as well, and it became the meal centerpiece for Donna's birthday supper.

Salmon With Orange Glaze

8 salmon fillets

Glaze:
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 tsp oil (I used olive oil)
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
2 cloves garlic, finely minced (actually I grated them)
3 Tbsp white rice vinegar

Combine the glaze ingredients.  Lay salmon fillets on a broiler pan, salt and pepper moderately.  Brush one side of the fillets with the glaze and bake at 400 F for 10 minutes.  Flip fillets, brush second side with the glaze and bake for 10 more minutes or until done.  Serve, garnishing with thinly sliced green onions.

Next time I would be far more generous with the glaze.  I probably used only 1/2 the glaze.  In the future, I would use more with the basting steps, plus set some aside for additional application at the table, if so desired.

We served the orange glazed salmon with tri-color roasted baby potatoes (tossed with butter and onions and roasted at 400 until tender), broccoli salad, peas, and, of course, those lemon meringue cupcakes for dessert!  Oranges and lemons and a few other things thrown in for good measure!  I think I heard the bells of St. Clements as I ate this meal. 

(Get it?....."oranges and lemons and the bells of St. Clements....")  Sorry.  A flash to my musical past from my ABC Beginner piano books.

Oh, how I love food.

Comments

Popular Posts