Savory, For A Change

I've been glancing at my recipe index here and realize that I have posted a lot of recipes for baking, more than for cooking.  Not sure why that is, but thought I'd balance that out with something from left field today.

It's a recipe for "Radish Dip".  It is currently chilling in the fridge, and I'll be taking it to work tomorrow to eat with my veggies at supper time.  It seemed like a seasonal thing to experiment with, although I've given up growing radishes in my garden as I am usually the only one who eats them and they bolt and go buggy so quickly.  More economical to buy them when the mood strikes.  However, store bought are nothing like the hot peppery garden ones that make you sweat and call for glasses of water.  Funny how those root vegetables can pack such a punch (although I believe it is of the cabbage family??  Am I right?).  I saw a TV show last night where a chef shared a restaurant known for it's extremely hot......seafood sauce/shrimp cocktail....of all things.  From what I saw, it was the horseradish (quantities, I'm guessing) that packed the punch on that one.  Isn't it amazing how the garden produces such incredible varieties of flavors and all from dried little seeds that look lifeless.

On a side note, I believe that seafood sauce is simply a combination of horseradish and ketchup.  I often keep a jar of horseradish in the fridge and make up my own if I'm planning to do a seafood appetizer.  Simple.  Cheaper to make your own.  I always like cheap.

Here is the recipe!

Radish Dip

1 cup halved/quartered radishes
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1/4 cup fresh parsley (I had to substitute dried, I think fresh would have been much better)
Whirl in a food processor until finely processed.
Add:
1/2 block of cream cheese, softened (125 gram total)
80-90 grams of feta cheese, crumbled
2 tsp lemon juice
s and p to taste.

Mash until softened; add vegetable mix and continue to blend/mash with a fork.
Serve with raw vegetables, crackers, pita breads.

Have fun experimenting!

Comments

  1. I like your banner change!

    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I like it too, for now anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add as an unbiased observer that when I saw radishes, green onion, and what looked like dill going in, I thought you were making Ukrainian pesto... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ukrainian pesto does have a ring to it....of sorts! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts