To A Summer Friend

To a summer friend....

I want you to know that I realize that the summer is coming to a close, and we are probably both a little disappointed in the results of our summer relationship opportunities.

I know that, given where we live, we only have limited opportunity to be together and that we need to make the most of the summer months, but I think the reality is that we both let each other down this year.  Sorry to say that.

If I could get inside your head, I expect you'd tell me that I wasn't there when you needed me most.  And I'd have to say, you're probably right.  I was busy.  I'm sorry.  I didn't make the time for you.  Other things got in the way.  And I'm sure you feel neglected.  I see it when I look at you.  You don't have to say a word.

And me, well, I think you could have done better, too.  It doesn't seem like you are very interested in giving me much in return either.  Your efforts seem half hearted, in comparison to what I've come to expect from you.

We've been friends for so long.  Why, getting to spend time with you in the summer goes back a long, long time.  We've been at this for many years.  And I've always said, if we can't do this summer thing right, then we shouldn't do it at all.  I'm starting to wonder if we should meet up again next summer?  We're taking chances here.  I don't want either one of us to be let down again.

Hmmm....

This is awkward.  I don't like the silence I'm getting from you.

Hello?  Hello?????











This is the conversation that my vegetable garden and I had this afternoon.

It was intense.

Really, the amount of vegetables that is has produced for me is, well, somewhat embarrassing.  Tomatoes the size of plums.  Corn plants that don't even reach my shoulders, that have the tiniest of cobs.  Peas came and went and have now rotted; kaput. Beans that, well, are doing their bean thing - growing and giving and then stopping, as only beans do.

However, on the other hand, there are beautiful cucumbers and blossoms that show promise of exceeding my expectations if the season holds, tasty potatoes that can't be beat, beets (pardon the homonym segue) that are gorgeous, begging to be made into beet pickles and Nana's borscht.  Onions growing bigger than they have for the last several years.  And zucchini, well, how shall we describe the zucchini?  My mind is already sorting through the file folders of zucchini recipes and wondering who else would like some!

I accept full responsibility for the nasty condition of my yard this year and I do extend the heartiest of apologies to my neighbors who have to look at the eye-sore that it has been.  I'm truly embarrassed.

However, the choice was: 
      a) Stay home and garden all summer long.
      b) Go on the trip of a life time, plus fit in a few other lovely excursions on my days off.

We chose "B".

Which determined that:
      c)  My yard and garden got left in the dust, so to speak.

No regrets.

None.

Nadda.

Maybe I'll garden better when I retire.

Or....maybe I'll travel more when I retire.

Or....maybe I'll assign the boys garden duty AND go travelling without them.

Or....maybe that garden site would be a lovely spot for a garage.

Or....maybe I'll just see what comes next summer, plant again in faith, stay home just a wee bit more than I did this year for the sake of my sanity (good heavens, that is a true statement), and meet my garden relationship somewhere in the middle.

All I know is that, tonight, for supper, I will peel 4 cobs of corn that I just picked at 1:30 p.m. this afternoon, then I might dig a couple of hills of potatoes at around 5:00 p.m.  After that, I'll probably wash up a couple of tomatoes that ripened on the vine that literally fell into my hands at around 1:00, peel one "Super 8" cucumber that I twisted off the vine at 1:45, pull a small onion at the last minute, and mix that all together into a lovely fresh salad with mayo with a few pinches of dillweed that volunteers to grow every year.  After supper, we might dish up some vanilla ice cream and slice up a few fresh strawberries that I found peeking out from underneath the ever-bearing strawberry plants, and when they say "ever-bearing", that is a promise you can take to the bank.

That, my friend, is a recipe for good eating that I am willing to make again, and again.

Kissy-kissy, sweet garden friend.  I remain...

Your Faithful Summer Friend

(and that's a promise!)

Comments

  1. Love it!!!!!! Had garden zucchini, potatoes and onions fried all together,spaghetti squash as well as beet greens for supper. Delicious!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said at supper, "I just love 'home-made' potatoes! And you could add all those other veggies too!! So you weren't overly successful this year in the garden. We do live in "next-year" country. There is always next year!! Enjoy what you have and don't worry about the rest! Treasure your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine - I know, it's all good, thanks for the reminder! I guess I always expect the garden to be superb and it seldom is. Need more manure, ha ha!!

    Anonymous - sounds delicious! Who are you?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this, probably because it is true for me too. I spend more time helping my Mom in her garden than in my own! It is more important to her than it is to me, but I certainly do love the fresh salads and veggies and baked potatoes! Hmmmm!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess I was very uncomfortable reading that first bit. It felt to personal--like it wasn't my business and I was intruding or eavesdropping! Imagine my relief...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts