"My Name Is Maureen and I'm A ....."

Let's just sit around in a circle for a few minutes and reflect. Whenever you're ready, go ahead, say it out loud.  Shy?  Okay, I'll start first.

"My name is Maureen and I'm a .... hoarder."

Whew.

That felt good.

Just saying the words liberated me.

I feel you understand me better.

Now, don't misunderstand me.  I'm not the kind of hoarder that you're going to smugly watch on tv.  (Although I did just haul 200 lbs of "stuff" to the dump yesterday out of the basement.)

No, I think I have mastered that kind of hoarding.  The plan is simple - don't.  Don't buy it.  Don't use it?  Don't keep it.  And don't mentally add up how much that stuff cost as you throw it away or recycle/re purpose it.

No, I'm a hoarder of a different nature completely.

I buy groceries.

And then I hoard them.

I buy fresh broccoli on sale and then I admire it in my fridge for so long that, 3 weeks later, when I decide to use it, it has gone bad on me and/or I'm cutting off the bad parts so that I can use 25 cents worth of it so I at least get some value out of the original purchase.  I buy egg nog and reeeealllly want to SAVE it because it's so special AND ONLY AVAILABLE SEASONALLY, too, and I save it for so long that, yeah, it's gone bad on me and no one gets to enjoy it.  I buy a nice piece of fish and store it away in the freezer for months, saving it for some special day, and it gets freezer burned.  Just now, I decided to make a pan of Baked Oatmeal and figured that I would throw in some frozen cranberries that I bought for a really good deal at Christmas and I just couldn't do it.  I needed to save those cranberries for another occasion that might be more important than today.

Food in the fridge/freezer is like money to me.  I don't want to use it unless I absolutely HAVE TO.

How weird is that.

How weird am I.

Don't answer that question.  'Kay?

Anyway, I am a believer in making a menu plan for a week at a time and only shopping for that week, using up everything I buy by the time the week is over.

I am also a believer in buying things when they're on sale, being smart with my moola.  Thus, I do end up with a well stocked pantry.  "To save money you have to spend money."  My grocery shopping mantra.

I could easily live in a location where you go to the market every day to get your groceries.  I like grocery shopping and buying and saving and storing and planning.....

I definitely spend a lot of time thinking about food and cooking and eating.  Hmm.

Anyway, the recipe that I have for you today was prepared the other night as a result of looking in the fridge and realizing that I had a couple of things that needed to be used up.  The ingredients in this recipe may surprise you, but don't be put off; the results are very tasty!  Give it a try!  (I give credit for this recipe to my sister, Elaine, who prepared it for us a couple of years back.  Thanks E!)

Therefore, I'll call it:

Elaine's Asian Peanut Noodle Dish

360 grams uncooked spaghetti
2-3 cups chopped snow peas
1 cup red pepper strips (or cubes)
1/4 cup Catalina dressing
1 lb beef OR chicken strips
2 Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp soya sauce

Garnish:
4 green onions, sliced
4 Tbsp chopped peanuts

Cook the spaghetti.  When you are 2 minutes away from the spaghetti being fully cooked, add the snow peas and peppers and boil for 2 more minutes.  Drain.

While the spaghetti is cooking, heat the Catalina in a separate pan and cook the beef (or chicken).  Add the peanut butter and soya sauce and stir to mix together/thicken slightly.

Toss the meat mixture with the cooked noodles.  Add green onions and chopped peanuts to garnish and enjoy!

(Don't skip on the garnish; it adds another flavor dimension.)

Love, love this recipe.

Comments

  1. Going to try it this week! My friend put up a similar recipe yesterday (from pinterest), but this one has way more normal ingredients! yay!

    I told you that I'm most excited to use up my stockpile of food in the next 4 months and save LOTS of money on groceries, right? Now I just need to remember to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts