It Takes Imagination

It takes imagination to be a good cook.

Or.

It takes imagination to come up with ideas to inspire a cook.

Or.

It takes imagination to think up things that must have been made before that you'd like to try to cook.

Or.

It takes an almost-13-year old son to dream up something that sounds a bit wild but makes you do a quick search on Google only to find that it's not wild at all, in fact, someone far more imaginative than you has already done it!!!!

Sigh.

Andrew came home from school yesterday, and proceeded to stand there, wishing to himself and to me that he could get some of that "CHOCOLATE POPCORN" like he's seen in the malls.

Andrew?  Hello?  I've never seen you be interested in the popcorn shop at any mall.  I've never seen this "chocolate popcorn" that you're wishing upon a star for.

Apparently you've been shopping without me. 

Regardless, this silly mama went looking on Google for inspiration.  The very first search result was interesting enough to convince me that we could easily give it a try and I was able to inspire him with the information that, if he helped me, he'd be eating chocolate popcorn within 45 minutes or less.

We love popcorn here.  Ben manages to twist my arms many nights with his request for "your WORLD FAMOUS popcorn, Mom"!!  That means - hot air popcorn made with REAL butter, lightly salted.  How do you refuse a request like that?  I'm so flattered.  World famous.  Sheesh.

Another Ann (not my mom, Anne with an 'e') in my life first introduced me to homemade caramel corn back in the 1980's.  We've been making it for years; my parents make it nearly every Christmas, and Dad gets horrified when I tell him that I've made my batch without peanuts.  It's all about the peanuts for him. 

Another person shared a terrific recipe for Poppycock and I make this often at Christmas, too.  However, unlike caramel corn (where I can take or leave the peanuts behind), my poppycock has to be l-o-a-d-e-d with nice and salty mixed nuts.  The more nuts the better.  I love.

Once in awhile, I will make Peanut Butter Popcorn for Andrew.  The peanut coating remains soft and gooey and is so yummy.  I was going to say that I make it for Andrew and I to share, but there isn't very much sharing that goes on, to tell you the truth.

This Chocolate Popcorn recipe was a surprise hit for me.  I know there are a surprising number of people who aren't in love with chocolate, and that's just fine.  I'm not a chocaholic, by any means, but this is really nice.  I think I possibly used more popped popcorn than they asked for in the recipe, which meant that it wasn't overly candied, which makes it a nice snack without being overbearing in the sweet department.

Here is:

Chocolate Popcorn

8 cups popped popcorn
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup syrup
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 250 F.  Lightly grease or spray a rimmed cookie sheet.

Place popcorn into a large, metal bowl, and set aside.
Stir together the sugar, corn syrup, cocoa powder, and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, then pour over the popcorn. Stir until the popcorn is well coated. Spread the popcorn into the prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring several times.
Remove from the oven, and allow to cool to room temperature. Break into small clumps, and store in an airtight container.  IF you have any left to store, that is!  ;)

I can see this being a real hit for sleepover parties!!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts