Marching Through...um, March!

I try not to be absent from here too much but time goes on, doesn't it?

I haven't cooked anything out of the ordinary lately.  I have "pinned" a couple of recipes from Pinterest that I might like to try soon.  We bought some pike at the local fish market last week and made that for supper one day.  Wow, so good!

I have been busy doing other creative things.  One day I hauled my sewing machine up to work on a bag that I had cut out.  Somewhere in there, I got distracted with a bunch of a couple of other projects and I've been sewing up a storm.  The projects that I've been working on have been random, small jobs, with a little bit of mending thrown in there for good measure.  I haven't sewn this much for years and I even managed to fix my tension (thread tension, that is) issues this afternoon.  It's been good to work on something new and challenging. 

I'm already eyeing up Andrew's room for my new sewing room after he leaves home     

Some day, I hope to have a sewing room, where the sun shines in through the window and I can leave things out for spontaneous creativity. 

Incidentally, I have been so distracted with my fun projects that I haven't even started the bag yet....  All things in good time.

Other things have been on my mind.  People, actually.  I don't know, I know that not all of you understand my faith - it is a personal thing, for sure.  But, there have been so many people on my mind lately, I just have to pray for them.  And I really mean "pray" - no empty promises.  I can't help it.  The burdens of people around me are heavy.  And so I pray.  I sew.  And pray.  I cook.  And pray.  I read.  And pray.  And God puts another name on my heart and I think "another person to pray for, Lord?  Wow, this is keeping me BUSY!"  Who am I but an ordinary gal having some simple conversations with God about people I love. 

That's what's on my heart today.  Doesn't make for very interesting reading on your part, hey?!!

I did try a new recipe for supper and really quite enjoyed it.  It's a version of a "Taco Pie" and it was sourced from "Mennonite Girls Can Cook" - see link.

I know, I know.  I hate making pies.  But somehow, the pressure was off a bit with it not being a dessert pie.  The crust recipe looked fairly forgiving, and hearty, even, so I gave it a go. 

Crust:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup shortening
4 Tbsp cold water

Add shortening to dry ingredients and mix until small crumbs are formed.  Add cold water and stir until the dough comes together.  Divide the dough in half and roll out the bottom crust and place in a deep pie plate.

Filling:

1 lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili pepper
s and p to taste
Fry until hamburger no longer pink.

Add:
1 395 ml tin of tomato sauce
1 tin kernel corn, drained
1/3 tin refried beans

Brush the bottom crust with an egg wash.  Place the remaining 2/3 tin of refried beans on the crust, then layer 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, meat mixture, 1 more cup of grated cheddar cheese.

Roll out remaining crust, vent the top with a large "X" and place on top of the pie.  Brush with remaining egg wash.

Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes.  Turn the heat down to 350 and bake for 45 more minutes.  When finished baking, let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.  Serve with salsa and sour cream - a necessity!!

Thanks for reading even when my creativity has been invested in other areas besides this blog.  Just bein' me today.

Comments

  1. some of those semi-mindless (but fun) tasks are great prayer times. Gardening and baking come to mind for me. Sometimes even washing dishes. Pray away

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts