Leaves Me Wanting More, Farewell Jill

Have I said yet how much simpler spring is when you don't have a busy summer planned?  The past two summers have been full.....of good things....but full, nonetheless.  In 2010, we journeyed through our crazy kitchen renovation.  Oh, that was a summer of epic proportions in the stress and joy departments.  Wow.  Not sure that renovating during the school year would have been easier but to have the house pulled apart when everyone was home presented some interesting days and challenges.  In 2011 we completed our Maritime tour right smack at the beginning of the summer and from there on we were on the move for the entire summer, either travelling or working = no time at home.  At the end of those 2 summers, I found myself longing for my own back yard, feeling like I had been unfaithful to it and that I had missed out on something, even in the midst of making some incredible memories elsewhere.

This spring has had a nice pace.  Shift work cycles in oddly predictable fashion, and the past 5-6 years have had me working a bundle of shifts through the month of May.  This year, not so much. 

So, finally, time for yard work!  I mean, sufficient time for yard work.

Ah, I'm settling back into something that makes me tick, minus the stress of having to get things done within small time constraints.  Couple the time with nice weather (well, not this week) and a new corner of the yard that's opening up with some sweet spots, and I find myself wanting more of this gardening world that slipped through my fingers for the past few years.

We went to a couple of greenhouses on the weekend that we hadn't been to before - Obsessions at St. Louis and Garden of Dreams on the Candle Lake highway. 

Dangerous ground.  Dangerous, dangerous ground.

I want more.

Almost any greenhouse is a good greenhouse, in my books, but these 2 gems are lovely.  The plants are healthy and interesting and were almost overwhelming with the variety of choices.

I bought the basics of what I needed on the weekend but, um, I want more.  I'm almost disappointed that I found everything I needed that day.  I want another excuse to go back and browse and dream and buy and plant and watch the beauty develop.

Today marks the memorial service of a friend that passed away on Thursday, Jill.

We've known Ron and Jill for many years.  Music first brought us together.... a variety of music projects, really.  Jill and I were very similar - we both played the piano, sang alto, all those support roles that we happen to have that support other peoples' music project ideas.  We've been in their home, they've been in our home, we've done music in their church, they've done music in ours.  You know, that kind of stuff where there is mutuality and an understanding of worlds and perspectives, dreams, goals, joys, frustrations.

Life moved on, for both of us.  They moved to a new community to pastor a church and we lost face to face touch, but then I found Ron's blog and read it now and then and heard his voice in the virtual world, and saw her continued influence on his world and in their community.

Then I started my blog and she poked her head in here and we found that we shared a mutual love for cooking and serving others through food and that was very cool.  I loved seeing her remarks, under the alias of "Ron Baker" on Facebook, quietly marked .... Jill.

Her journey on earth ended somewhat unexpectedly on Thursday.  She had heart issues for most, if not all of her life.  I'm told that she lived on borrowed time for many years so we need to remember that she probably got more time than she expected.

But I'm feeling today that, in regards to time on earth with Jill in it, I want more.  I want a little bit more time.  I want to connect with her in a cooking chat just once more.  I want to hear her excited chatter and hear her giggle just one more time.  Her smile lit her entire face. 

I know that I do not mourn with the depth that her family and close friends mourn.  But I'm quietly sad over here in my corner of the world today, praying for her family and friends as they gather today to say good-bye.  There have been too many heart breaking good-byes around this community in the last little bit.  I'm sure there are many people who are left wanting more.  More time to watch the beauty develop through the life of someone precious.

Not sure how to end this post.  No recipe today, although maybe Jill would ask for one?  ;)

Live well.  Let us live each day well.  Pursue those things that make you tick.  Celebrate friendships where the love of mutual things draws you together.  Leave your mark on your world in your own sweet way and live well.

Comments

  1. Well written Maureen. This should cause us all to stop for a moment - remember those who have travelled the road to the next life, and- remember all the things that make us happy on the inside. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    Dwight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. We have had two deaths to process this past week, it definatley gives you a lot to think about. I am thankful that I visited your blog today, since I was unable to attend the ceremony today it was like I could spend a moment of my day paying tribute to Jill. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Jill both make beautiful music. Now she gets to sing and dance and worship the King face to face...while we have to wait a big... It was an astounding service today, with Ron jumping up and down singing "soon & very soon" in recessional...Jill touched so many...I appreciate you memorializing her here Maureen! I also don't comment much, but do read your blog. Love other writers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts