That's Enough of That!

I'm looking at the header picture on this wee blog, and am quite excited that, in a week or two or three, there will be buds on those bushes and new scenery to capture on the ol' camera.  In regards to our long winter, "that's enough of that!"

I've been kind of emotional and contemplative around here lately, and, while I've needed to be, "that's enough of that", too!  For now, anyway.  (insert wobbly grin here)

And although I originally created this blog to be a bit of a recipe sharing forum, I've not shared a recipe with you for quite a while and, while I'm sure you're not sobbing into your hankies over that particular fact, I found a recipe that I need to record somewhere because otherwise I forget and my family misses out on good things and "that's enough of that!"

AND, since some of our meals lately have consisted of the following HIGHLY NUTRITIOUS AND CREATIVE food items, AHEM, and Mr. A. has been STARVING and cereal won't fill him up anymore, I thought to myself "THAT'S ENOUGH OF THAT!" and I cooked something new today.






He said he liked it and told me it was absolutely awesome  (you have to hear him say 'awesome' - it is very passionate - 'AWWWW-sum') and he said he loved it and then he said something about me being the best mom EVER and the BEST COOK in the WORLD and something about there being no one equal to my talents and abilities and that my compassion surpassed that of Mother Teresa and that I should win the Pulitzer Prize for my creative cooking.

Yeah.  Something like that.... 

.....I think.....

I might have embellished a word or two but you get the idea.

He liked it.

(Or at least he said he did.  He's been kinda funny about that kind o' compliment lately.  "I just LOVE it...no, no, don't make it again, I don't really like it all that much.")

Sigh.

It's hard cooking sometimes.

Regardless, I liked this recipe today that I made for lunch and it's not rocket science but I can see it being a nice thing to throw in the lunch bag for a quick and easy lunch on the go.  I'm thinking that the "quick and easy" statement might not ring true depending on your idea of "quick and easy".  They are a bit of work, I won't kid ya, but they are homemade and healthy.  This recipe taken directly from Mennonite Girls Can Cook.

TUNA TURNOVERS (not to be confused with Tina Turner)

Dough

  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup  butter or margarine
  • 1 egg
  • milk to fill 1 cup with egg in it 
Filling
  • 2 - 7 ounce tuna in water, drained well
  •  2 cups shredded old / aged cheddar cheese
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
  • enough mayonnaise to moisten tuna mixture

Saute onion, green pepper, mushroom in butter until the onion is soft and transparent.  Add it to the tuna and cheese.  Add enough mayonnaise to the tuna to moisten.
  1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Add the cold butter or margarine and cut butter into the flour to get course crumbs.
  3. Add the egg into a one cup measure, fill the remaining cup with milk.
  4. Stir the wet ingredients to form into a dough.
  5. Roll out the dough on a well floured surface and cut into 5 inch rounds, or what ever size you would like your turnovers to be.
  6. Add a tablespoon of filling to the center. 
  7. Fold over dough and seal. 
  8. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
These will be in my lunch bag on the weekend.  The dough was quite forgiving and seems to be halfway between a pie dough and a biscuit dough.  I found it easy to roll out and handle.  I cut my circles with the lid of a 900 ml margarine tub as my template and got 11 turnovers out of the recipe. Hope you are inspired to try it OR something new to you!  Happy cooking!


Comments

  1. This does look good...are they freezable?
    Oh yeah...the name (and the "not to be confused with.." gave me the giggles! I may or may not be a bit tired myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would definitely be freezable! The vegetables are sauteed. They won't last long enough around here for me to try, but I would definitely do that myself.

      ;)

      Delete
  2. Cool! I think I pinned that one... I was debating whether not to b/c it's white flour so there's not exactly nutrient-rich, but I'm glad it's got your stamp of approval. My kids love tuna sandwiches, so I'm assuming this will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always substitute half whole wheat flour/half white flour and all would be fine.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts