Daily Challenge, Day Four


 
I was brushing my teeth at 0630 this morning, disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to do any photos for Day 4 of the challenge.  I was disappointed also that the whole day would be a photography wash (since when did I become so interested in this photography thing?  Hello, personal challenge.).  As in, I could neither photograph nor study.
 
All I was going to get to do was work.
 
Poor me.
 
;)
 
I love my job.
 
I love the people I work with.  Both the residents and the staff.
 
But their identity must remain a secret....shhh!!
 
I couldn't really truly visualize myself lugging my big-ish camera to work, pulling it out for those secret photographable moments.  I knew those moments would hit me...in the moment...and there would be some and they could be fun and my mind screamed HOW CAN I DO THIS?!!
 
iPOD!!!  It hit me, somewhere between Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion, L'Oreal facial powder, and Crest toothpaste.  Somewhere in the midst of my daily beauty regime, inspiration struck to go small and raw and capture views of our crazily sweet facility with the smallest camera I own.  The iPod hit the leg pocket of my scrubs and off I went.  Got to work and remembered the fund raising Garage Sale slated for the day. Bonus!  And inspiration wound its way through my crazy RN/photographer mind as I passed out pills and drew up insulins.  Every wheelchair, oxygen tank and sit/stand lift became food for creative thought as potentially visually interesting to some of you who may not see them in your every day world.
 
But, then, to get a really good shot of a structurally interesting wheelchair, I'd probably have to lie on my belly to get the shot and THAT AIN'T happening on those floors.  Just sayin'.  A lot of stuff happens on those floors and bless the hearts of the housekeeping staff, I'm just not going to lie there on my belly intentionally.  Period.
 
Then, I looked at some of the wheelchairs and Broda chairs and thought that it would be fun if I crawled inside some of them and focused on the view from the chair.  While there may be many intellectually challenging statements that could be made from that point of view, I also got the giggles, thinking about me, the so called "nurse in charge" climbing into some of these elaborate chairs, sitting there quietly, taking pictures with my little iPod while the busy day went on around me.  "Where's Maureen?  Dr. Jones is on the phone!!"     "....um,  she's sitting, in her chair...."  (and she can't get out).
 
Anyway.  Picture it.  ;)
 
Instead, here are some treasures found in this little world I spend 12 hours a day in.
 
(I am only just learning how to make collages; I have no idea how to number my pictures)
 
Row one: 
 
        - picture one - resembles the window sills of many people.  Personal spaces must become "home" and knick-knack treasures of all shapes and sizes abound in their rooms.  These are cheery little friends.
        - picture two - art work done by some of the residents.  Our facility hosted an Art Gala last fall that raised an astounding amount of money.  There was an abundance of previously untapped artistic talent that got discovered then.  I love seeing what happens when a paint brush and canvas are placed before someone.  The gnarled hands and sometimes foggy minds can produce beauty. 
        - picture three - a very friendly stuffy.  Stuffies are friendly and comforting, no matter the age of their master.

 


Row Two - these are all pictures from the Garage Sale tables.  Hats off to the staff and volunteers who organized treasures into visually pretty groups.

Row Three - also pictures form the garage sale.  There was this box of records - all retro - waltzes, polkas, Barbara Streisand in her younger years, etc.   I don't know why this box was being sold - if we played that entire box of records all day long, the residents would be in music heaven.  Then there was the stash of homemade yarn creations.  What do grandmas do?  Knit, crochet, create treasures for their families.  Pretty colors, soft yarns.  I can feel the softness under my fingers just looking at the picture.

And then there was that last box which was a box full of headless doll bodies and bodyless doll heads.  TOO WEIRD!!!

Today was fun and a challenge in a whole new way!  Glad I was forced to think outside the box.

Comments

  1. Loving the cut crystal glasses! And the dolls are so awesomely weird!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who wanted to buy that box of dolls....one man's junk is certainly and somehow another man's treasure, especially in this case!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts