Rainy Day Song

We are in the middle of a 2-3 day deluge.  Not typical Saskatchewan weather!  Driving home from Saskatoon yesterday, the rain was heavy, visibility was limited, driving conditions poor.  We worried about the road.  We worried about the basement.  We worried about the boys getting home from school.  I worried about the garden.

I've been thinking about the storms that I've gone through this winter (and please know that there was plenty of sun for me, too....I'm just being reflective on the whole picture).  There was some irony in some of my thoughts earlier this week.  For as many times as my storms have drenched me and the thunder and lightning has raged loudly in my world, this week I was feeling dry.....

.....in my spirit.... 

Sort of like I got tired of some of the intensity of the emotions that I had been through....and decided to disengage.

The end.



I smile.

It's not the end.

I will engage myself fully again.  In fact, realizing that I was/am disengaged on some level helps me to connect again.  Emotionally.  Spiritually.

It's like watching the 2-3 day deluge, knowing that it can't rain forever ...

....and that....

....this too shall pass.....

Three sets of friends have shared difficult news with me this week - illness of a young girl, unexpected and premature passing of someone dearly loved, a difficult and potentially terminal diagnosis for a family member.

And I think of a mantra that I find myself repeating again and again...

".....into each life some rain must fall...."

None of us escape trials.  And my heart hurts for those who hurt.  I've been there, I remember how it feels.


I find myself looking into my garden at the young life that is emerging from the dirt.  In spite of the deluge, the onions rise to attention.  The flowers keep blooming, though some are battle worn.  They seem to know that sun and rain equally feed them.

Hmm.

Does anyone remember this song from a few decades ago?  Hands up if you're over 40.....  ;)








Little flowers never worry
When the wind begins to blow












And they never, never cry
When the rain begins to fall







Thought it's wet and oh so cold
Soon the sun will shine again








Then they'll smile unto the world
For their beauty to behold







When the clouds begin to gather
And the wind begins to blow






Little flowers don't complain
Though they're tossing to and fro









Oh I guess they've learned the secret
They don't fret because they know






 
If it never, never rained
Then they'd never, never grow








So, let it rain, let it rain, let it pour
Little trouble - keep knocking at my door








If we learn the right from wrong
It will help to make us strong









Lord, please help us learn the secret
Even little flowers know










If it never, never rained
Then we'd never, never grow.


I hope the storm is not raging too wildly around you.  I hope there is plenty of sun....to warm you up from the cold.  I hope the rain finds you lifting your face to the Maker of the sunshine.

And may He bring you peace.


(Next time, let's cook!)

Comments

  1. great photography and great thoughts too! Heard a grad speaker last night that emphasized the importance of "struggle"...kind of fits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. I am having more and more fun with the photography thing! Have signed up for an on-line photography class starting Monday (video classes available online for the next 6 months) - interested to see what I can learn.

      I don't want to keep focusing on the struggles of the year, but have to speak/write from the heart and in the deep moments, some of those things come to the surface.

      Curious as to what grad event you were at?

      Delete
  2. You speak and write so well Maureen. Are you sure there's not a top seller in there somewhere? Wish I had that talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl! I really haven't developed this side of me much. Some days, I just itch to write. Other days, I'm dry and wordless. I guess I'll keep posting when I do and see where it goes.... Thanks for reading and encouraging. You don't know, YOU might have the writing talent too! Find your OWN voice and go for it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts