Simple Thoughts From the Pea Patch

I've been busy, harvesting my dill.
 

 


Aka, weeding the garden!


Dill weed grows prolifically in our garden space.  When Dean and I were giving the garden a good weeding yesterday, I looked in the pea patch and banned Dean and his hoe from coming closer until I had had a chance to pick out the small dill plants.  It seems such a shame to eliminate them from the garden now when I will so enjoy dill later in the season when it's pickle season, etc.  I carefully picked the tiny plants into a cereal bowl and brought them into the house where I picked through them and then put them out on waxed paper to dry overnight.  Today, I picked through it some more, chopped it finely with kitchen shears, and I have beautiful dried dill weed and it makes me wonder exactly how much money I could get for "organic" dill weed. Surely a small batch like this could fetch me a few dollars.  It smells so good. It was an easy thing to harvest.  I might find this "picking and drying herbs" thing kind of addicting!

I was out in the garden again this morning.  I only managed to get through a couple more rows before the thunder chased me away.  While I was out there on my hands and knees, hurrying to get done before the storm rolled in, batting mosquitoes away, conscious of my sore legs from yesterday's garden session and occasionally itching my sunburn, I wondered to myself "Why do I do this again?  Do I really like this?  I'd rather be...."

My mind started to think through the things I'd rather do, or, at least, things that I often do instead of garden stuff.  I started to get a little defensive as I argued with myself..... "but I LIKE looking at things on Pinterest....I LIKE looking at other peoples' creativity...."

.....And then I looked at the tiny beet plants that I was weeding through.......

And a voice from the Heavens quietly whispered into my soul ....  "I like to be creative too"....
 
 
 
"The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,--
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth."
 
Dorothy Frances Gurney
 
 
 
I think,
      ...........that in this world
           ..............of distractions......
                        .......and time wasters......
 
 
My soul ......
       ........NEEDS.......
             ......to be found in God's garden.

Comments

  1. I do my best praying while weeding the garden...don't know what it is about the weeding and praying besides the poem quoted above! It is a blessing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it is the posture of being on our knees....

      Delete
    2. Maybe it's the metaphor: pulling weeds from our gardens.

      Delete
    3. Hmmm..the metaphor of weeding. Interesting thought Evonne!

      And Dixie...whatever pose works! :)

      Delete
  2. Love this! I am so enjoying being in the garden this year. But, I don't garden on my knees. I either squat or sit right down on my bum. Not sure what that says about my gardening or praying skills! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I bend over like a good Ukrainian baba! If the job gets done (both praying and weeding), it matters not! ;) SO glad you are enjoying your garden. It is an awesome place to be in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts