In The Garden

I come to the garden, alone.
 
Back to the sky.
 
Face to the ground.
 
Knees bent.
 
Hands grasping the undesirables
 
Heart hoping that the desirables will flourish.
 
 
 
 
And somewhere
 
Between the beet leaves
 
 
 


...and the beans....



 
 
I start to pray.
 
 
 
I pray for you
 
 
 
I pray for the men, the boys
 
The women, the girls
 
 
 
 
I pray over the joys
 
And I pray over the sorrows
 
 
 
 
I pray for those carefully planted, toiled over
.....dreams....
....that they would flourish....
 
 
And I pray over those weeds
....that threaten the dreams.....
 
 

 
 
Your faces stare back at me
I think I'm seeing peonies in bloom
chickweed and thistles
Tomatoes and cucumbers
 
 
But, my heart is seeing you
As God Himself
Asks me to fall on my knees
And dig in
On your behalf
 
 
This
This is why
I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on
 
To hear His voice

Comments

  1. I don't know what it is but there is just something about weeding the garden and praying that go hand in hand -- especially if you have a heavy burden about something.
    Like that old poem says, "You're closer to God's heart in a garden than any place on earth."

    This is beautiful and touching and beautiful!!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Poem Maureen! I can well relate to garden prayers. There is something about the privilege of taking part in His creation, caring for it, that keeps us close to Him, and being in the garden leads us to Him....I spent the better part of the day in mine...so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem makes me so happy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your expressed this prayer and the comparison to life, weeding our the thorns and thistles. May the Lord continue to give grace in our small efforts to allow the garden He has planted us in to grow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts