25 Simple Things I'm Thankful For

Beautiful pumpkins from a friend


It's the Friday of the Thanksgiving weekend and I'm tidying up my house, making buns, getting ready to put the turkey in to share with family this evening.  My head hasn't really been in the game of Thanksgiving yet - I've been working and committed to what feels like a thousand outside expectations and last on my list has been my home, my family, myself even, and I'm desperate for a quiet weekend with the ones I hold dear next to me.  Desperate.

And so I'll do a little cooking and put a few fall things on the table and maybe watch "Dan In Real Life" and pretend that we're going to have a family talent contest around the fireplace when in reality we'll likely not do that at all, seeing that we don't have a fireplace.  ;)

In the interest of both silly and serious, here are a handful of things that have made an impact (both big and small) on my life over the past few months:


1.  Gouda cheese
2.  Pumpkin Spice Lattes
3.  My girl cousins, dad's side - and the days that we have spent together this year.

Day trip to Maureen's house - we're peas in a pod.
Love them, each one

4.  Living Waters Camp
5.  Tomato tarts
6.  Roasted beets

7.  My work family


We as diverse as the sands on the shore, but these people have hearts as big as the ocean.  They know how to serve, love, have fun, cry.....and eat (!).  Love them.

8.  Our music friends who pop in to see us now and then and make us wish they lived closer. 

Yeah, Dean didn't accept that offered kiss.......

9.  Cut flowers from my garden.

Grandma Zuk always grew Zinnias.....
....and so shall I.

10.  Homemade buns.
Can these count as one of life's greatest miracles?

11.  Heart to hearts with my Dixie.

On a beach
Waskesiu
Perfect day
 

12.  The worship band "Rend Collective".  The worship musician "Christy Nockels".  The worship musician "Lauren Daigle".
13.  Music from the 40s.  Never, and I mean, never, gets old.

14.  Borealis Music Festival

I have thought back to this August night a hundred times.
What a night.
We sat in the warm evening air with not a cool breeze to be found.
Favorite people beside us.
The night progressed....and so did the music.
And then.
The full moon rose in the upper left corner of my sight line.
"The Harpoonist and The Axe Murderer" belted out some soul tunes.
The crowd swayed and clapped.
Perfection.

15.  The Prince Albert Parkland Health Region - who looked after someone we love through a serious health issue. 
16.  The Prince Albert Parkland Health Region - who looked after me through some health scares that could have turned out to be way scarier than they already were.
17.  The close set of girlfriends who listened to me worry about my health events and prayed for me and rejoiced with me when the news turned out to be good.


18.  Laila Biali  - go buy The Radiance Project.  Seriously.  This music blows me away.
This might be the best concert I've ever attended.
Small crowd - maybe 50 people
My favorite venue - Village Guitar and Amps, Saskatoon
Music - wow.  Just wow.
I've attended a lot of concerts but this one.
I don't know.
My soul came alive.
And then.....AND THEN...she said "come find me on Facebook,
so we can keep in touch."
Okay.  I will.  And I did.
And we are.

 
19.  Vintage dishes
20.  Journalling - reminders of my blessings
21.  All of the somewhat artsy things that I occasionally get to do that make me breath fresh breaths again.
22.  A husband who cleans the house and buys groceries and smiles and lays out my pajamas on my pillow when he knows I'm coming home from work exhausted.
23.  Fresh coffee
24.  Coming adventures

25.  Rend Collective - "Never Walk Alone" - I've been consciously searching, struggling to hang on to something in these days that haven't always been easy.  I guess sometimes my brain is too busy to receive and react to things that are blatantly there for me to hold on to.  As I've been working around the house and driving to work and just doing life, this song has unintentionally been playing in my brain, almost daily.  I think it's a gift from God to me.  I'll call it my own personal soundtrack for Fall 2015.  Give it a listen.  And then read the post all over again while it's playing.  If you felt like you had nothing to be thankful for before, maybe this song will remind you that you do.



 





You are my shepherd faithful forever
Your hand is strong where my faith is weak
Close as my heartbeat You won't forsake me
You are the love that will carry me

And I won't be afraid
I will trust Your heart and say

I will never ever ever walk alone
You are with us for us always holding on
Though I wander Your love goes further
You are my hope and future
I will never walk alone

 Questions may haunt us casting a shadow
Still You're the hope and the fire in me
I will not tremble, I will not stumble
You are my courage my bravery

And I won't be afraid
I will trust Your heart and say

 I will never ever ever walk alone
You are with us for us always holding on
Though I wander Your love goes further
You are my hope and future
I will never walk alone

Surely Your goodness and mercy
Will light up the way set before me
Surely Your grace will pursue me
All my days, all my days

 I will never ever ever walk alone
You are with us for us always holding on
Though I wander Your love goes further
You are my hope and future
I will never walk alone

 

CCLI Song # 7047088
 
 
Yeah, in many ways, ways that have just had to stay deep inside of me, not to be shared, the last few months have been hard, challenging, spiritually dry - but when I've trembled, God's calmed me.  When I've stumbled, He didn't let me fall too hard.  I'm never alone. 
 
And what greater thing to be thankful for. 
Happy Thanksgiving from my heart to yours.



Comments

Popular Posts